Table of Contents
- 1. What is Wireshark?
- 2. What’s New
- 3. Getting Wireshark
- 4. File Locations
- 5. Known Problems
- 6. Getting Help
- 7. Frequently Asked Questions
Wireshark is the world’s most popular network protocol analyzer. It is used for troubleshooting, analysis, development and education.
- The Windows installers now ship with Qt 5.6. Previously they shipped with Qt 5.3.
The following vulnerabilities have been fixed:
The following bugs have been fixed:
- Flow Graph colored data arrows. (Bug 12065)
- Capture File Properties under Statistics Grayed Out after Stopping a Capture. (Bug 12071)
- Qt: Hidden columns displayed during live capture. (Bug 12377)
- Unable to save changes to coloring rules. (Bug 12814)
- Bad description for NBSS error code 0x81. (Bug 12835)
- Live capture from USBPcap fails immediately. (Bug 12846)
- Cannot decrypt EAP-TTLS traffic (not recognized as conversation). (Bug 12879)
- Export packet dissections Option disabled after capturing traffic. (Bug 12898)
- Failure to open file named with Chinese or other multibyte characters. (Bug 12900)
- k12 text file format causes errors. (Bug 12903)
- File | File Set | List Files dialog is blank. (Bug 12904)
- Decoding/Display of an INAP CONNECT message goes wrong for the Destination Routing Address part. (Bug 12911)
- TLS padding extension dissector length parsing bug. (Bug 12922)
- Diameter dictionary bugs. (Bug 12927)
- File open from menu bar with filter in place causes Wireshark to crash. (Bug 12929)
- Unable to capture USBPcap trace using tshark with extcap built. (Bug 12949)
- P1 dissector fails a TVB assertion. (Bug 12976)
- Multiple PortableApps instances can once again be run at the same time.
6LowPAN, BT L2CAP, CIP, DCOM IRemUnknown, Diameter, DMP, EAP, ISUP, NBT, NCP, NetFlow, SSL / TLS, and U3V
There are no new or updated capture interfaces supported in this release.
Wireshark source code and installation packages are available from https://www.wireshark.org/download.html.
Most Linux and Unix vendors supply their own Wireshark packages. You can usually install or upgrade Wireshark using the package management system specific to that platform. A list of third-party packages can be found on the download page on the Wireshark web site.
Wireshark and TShark look in several different locations for preference files, plugins, SNMP MIBS, and RADIUS dictionaries. These locations vary from platform to platform. You can use About→Folders to find the default locations on your system.
Dumpcap might not quit if Wireshark or TShark crashes. (Bug 1419)
The BER dissector might infinitely loop. (Bug 1516)
Capture filters aren’t applied when capturing from named pipes. (Bug 1814)
Filtering tshark captures with read filters (-R) no longer works. (Bug 2234)
Application crash when changing real-time option. (Bug 4035)
Packet list rows are oversized. (Bug 4357)
Wireshark and TShark will display incorrect delta times in some cases. (Bug 4985)
Wireshark should let you work with multiple capture files. (Bug 10488)
Dell Backup and Recovery (DBAR) makes many Windows applications crash, including Wireshark. (Bug 12036)
Community support is available on Wireshark’s Q&A site and on the wireshark-users mailing list. Subscription information and archives for all of Wireshark’s mailing lists can be found on the web site.
Official Wireshark training and certification are available from Wireshark University.
A complete FAQ is available on the Wireshark web site.
- WLAN packet capture and transmission
- Full 802.11 a/b/g/n support
- View management, control and data frames
- Multi-channel aggregation (with multiple adapters)